Happy Father’s Day! Before I get on a rail trail today, I’m writing this message (so I don’t get home and decide to take a nap, and then bail on the belated message another day). So briefly (well, briefly for me)
Let’s be careful out there!!! We’ve gotten lots of feedback on the trail and its users. Bicyclists do NOT have the right-of-way to just blow through intersections, particularly the two road crossings of busy Route 27, and the one of Route 225, nor Golden Cove Road in Chelmsford. So, in no particular order:
- Be nice
- If you are on a bicycle, you are not a pedestrian. Therefore, you have to adhere to all traffic laws when you come to roads (Same Road, Same Rules). Which means that you have to adhere to stop signs. You don’t have the right-of-way just because you’re a bicyclist. If you want to have pedestrian rights, get off your bicycle and walk your bicycle.
- Use the crossing signals at intersections. Push the button
- If you are on a bike, yield to walkers. Be courteous. If you’re on a bike yell out “On your left” and/or ring a bell. If you’re a walker, be aware of your surroundings, walk two abreast and keep to the right. It is a multi-modal trail, which means, of course, that both bicyclists and pedestrians have the same rights to use the trail
- Be careful of the brick humps at intersections. Spills and road burns have been reported
- Be nice
Summer Solstice Bike Ride. Meet at 6pm on Thursday, June 21st at Pedal Power (176 Great Road in Acton). (Contact: Tom Michelman, 978-580-6190 firstname.lastname@example.org). After a short introduction, Treasurer Christine Corr will lead the ride. Generally, it is what people can do in a little less than two hours with a break. Strong bikers and weaker bikers don’t have to stay together. The trail is just behind Pedal Power and which will stay open to greet returning bicyclist.
March in the Sudbury 4th of July Parade, July 4, 12 p.m. (Contact: Dick Williamson email@example.com, 978-618-5475)
Come by our booth at Carlisle Old Home Day June 23, 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Phases 2B and Phases 2D made it onto the FFY 2019-2023 TIP. Thank you all who wrote in or attended the May 24th meeting and supported the BFRT.
- We are still in the Environmental Bond Bill (though it has now morphed to H4613. $1,000,000 allocated to purchase the right-of-way from CSX in Framingham.