The Bruce Freeman Rail Trail is a work in progress. The proposed trail from Lowell to Framingham is divided into three phases. Each phase is being developed by the communities through which is passes and with funds directed to each phase.
PHASE 1 begins in Chelmsford at the Lowell/Chelmsford line, near Cross Point, passes through Chelmsford Center, and ends at Rt. 225 in Westford. This part of the trail covers a stretch of 6.8 miles. Phase 1 & Phase 2A are now open, more information is available here. Download a Phase 1 & 2A Trail Map with Parking Information here (PDF)
PHASE 2 continues through Westford and goes through the communities of Carlisle, Acton, Concord and a portion of Sudbury, covering a stretch of 13.1 miles. Phase 2A is 4.9 miles.
From north to south they are:
- Westford – Phase 2A, opened April 3, 2018
- Carlisle, Phase 2A, opened April 3, 2018
- Acton, Phase 2A, opened April 3, 2018,
- Acton & Concord, Phase 2B (bridge over Rte. 2) GPI is moving forward with the 75% design submission. The 100% design submittal is tentatively scheduled for January/February 2019. The current advertisement date goal for construction of 2B is June 2019 or earlier.
- Concord, Phase 2C currently under construction. Please note that Phase 2C (Concord) of the trail is NOT open. It is unsafe to enter an active construction site. This section of the trail is scheduled to open in spring 2019.
- Sudbury, Phase 2D, working towards 25% design
For additional information on the Acton, Carlisle, and Westford section of Phase 2, view this update.
For additional information on the Concord section of Phase 2, view this update.
PHASE 3 completes the trail going through Sudbury and Framingham for a total of 4.6 miles. The State’s Central Transportation Planning Staff recently completed a study of this section of the trail corridor. The study concluded that the trail is definitely feasible. Efforts are underway to acquire the right-of-way from the railroad company CSX.
Bruce Freeman Rail Trail Framingham Brochure
Information about the trail in Framingham
Concord River Greenway, Connector Trail extends the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail north from the end of Phase 1 into Lowell. The feasibility of this trail is being investigated by the City of Lowell, Northern Middlesex Council of Governments, and Lowell Parks & Conservation Trust. View information on the Concord River Greenway Project