We are very pleased with the significant progress made on the rail trail this past year.
- The contract for construction of Phase 2C through West Concord has been awarded! We anticipate that groundbreaking will be held in early 2017.
- Construction for Phase 2A in Acton, Carlisle, and Westford is underway, including the bridge over Rte. 2A, and can be seen from Rte. 2A and Rte. 27. Completion is currently scheduled for spring 2018, adding almost 5 miles to the trail.
- The Public Hearing has been held for the 25% design of Phase 2B, the 300-foot bridge over Rte. 2 in Acton and Concord. The two towns will work to complete the design.
- Sudbury has been proceeding with the 25% design of the 4.6 miles of the BFRT in Phase 2D. Voters at 2016 Town Meeting appropriated $150,000 of Community Preservation Act funds to be used as partial funding of the 75% design of the BFRT in Sudbury. This vote assures that there will be no gap in the design work between the 25% and 75% phases of the design.
- Exciting news for the BFRT in Westford: an informational kiosk and two benches have been installed near Rte. 225. Two more benches have been installed where the BFRT crosses Rte. 27.
Thank you to all of our members and supporters. We appreciate your support and look forward to more progress on the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail in 2017. To join the Friends of the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail or make a donation: http://brucefreemanrailtrail.org/support-trail/
More information about donating to the Friends of the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail here.