Phase 1 of the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail extends from the Lowell/Chelmsford line near Cross Point and Rt. 3, through Chelmsford Center, to the intersection of Route 27 and Route 225 in Westford. The trail has a 10-foot wide pavement with a 2-foot wide packed shoulder on each side. It traverses woods, wetlands, open fields, recreational areas, and shopping areas. The trail is 6.8 miles long. Motorized vehicles are not allowed.
Phase 1 (6.8 miles in Lowell, Chelmsford, and Westford) opened in 2009. Download a Phase 1 & Phase 2A Trail Map with Parking Information here (PDF)
Crosspoint Towers, 900 Chelmsford St. (Weekends and holidays Only)
Stop & Shop lot, 299 Chelmsford St., Chelmsford
Chelmsford Center for the Arts, 1A North Rd. (Rt. 4), Chelmsford
Chelmsford Center Artwalk, Cushing Place, Chelmsford (public restrooms, seasonal)
Byam School (off school hours), 25 Maple Rd, Chelmsford
Town Land at Heart/Baptist Pond, 2 Pond St., Chelmsford (public restrooms, seasonal)
- Stop at ALL STOP signs
- Bicyclists and skaters yield to pedestrians
- Keep to the right; pass on the left
- Use an audible signal when passing
- Look before passing
- Bicyclists and skaters should wear safety helmets
- Keep pets on a short leash, remove droppings
- When stopping, do not block the trail
- No littering – carry in, carry out
- Respect property adjacent to the trail
- No motorized vehicles on the trail
In case of emergency, dial 911. Enjoy the trail!
For organized events of 25 people or more, you must fill out an event registration form and submit it to all Towns that will be impacted by the event. Instructions are on the form which is available here.
The trail is open for use. Click here for information on the ribbon cutting